OSCE exam in Eye Institute
Every year Eye Institute holds multiple events to provide education for optometrists and doctors.
One of those events was our successful OSCE exam that recently took place at our clinic in Remuera.
In 2000, our Founder Dr Peter Ring started running mock exams for trained registrars prior to their final fellowship surgical exam.
This is known as the OSCE exam (Objective Structured Clinical Exam) by the College of Ophthalmology.
The OSCE is a form of performance-based exam used to measure candidate’s clinical competence. During the OSCE, candidates go through a series of stations in which they interview, examine and diagnose patients with different clinical problems and is usually monitored by a consultant.
The OSCE proved to be a great success again, with positive feedback from our candidates.
This event would not be a success every year if it wasn’t for our founder of 24 years, Dr Peter Ring.
Dr Ring was the first Doctor to introduce various technologies to Ophthalmology in NZ.
• 1979- undertook the first posterior chamber intraocular lens in NZ for cataract surgery
• 1988- undertook the first radial keratotomy procedure in NZ for vision correction
• 1992- brought the first corneal laser machine into New Zealand with Drs Tony Morris and Bruce Hadden
• 1995 -Built and started Eye Institute, the first outpatient surgical centre in NZ with Drs Tony Morris and Bruce Hadden
• 1997/98- President of the Ophthalmological Society of New Zealand
• 2004 commenced using the first “modern generation” multi focal lenses for cataract surgery and refractive lens exchange
• For 12 years an examiner for the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmology
• Former Council Member of the Asian Pacific College of Ophthalmology
• Invited to teach in China for the past three years in peripheral hospitals and many more amazing achievements.
Dr Ring’s amazing hard work and dedication has shaped the Eye Institute into one of the leading ophthalmology clinics that it is today.
Ophthalmology in NZ would not be the same without the hard work of our founder, Dr Ring.