Using eye drops does not need to be a daunting task.
Here are six simple steps to follow:
- Take care not to touch the eye, or eyelid with the nozzle of the bottle.
- Wash your hands before you start.
- Tilt your head back and look up at the ceiling.
- Gently pull the lower eyelid down until it forms a small pocket or pouch.
- Squeeze the bottom of the upturned dropper to release a SINGLE drop into the eye. If you think you have missed, use another drop. Release the lower lid and gently close the eyelid for 30 seconds (do NOT squeeze lids closed). Dab any excess with a tissue.
- If we prescribe you with more than one type of eye drop, it is best to wait for 3-5 minutes between the diﬀerent drops to allow the best eﬀect from each drop.
- Then rewash your hands.
To keep the eye drops clean:
- Don’t allow the nozzle to touch the eye or anything else,
- Don’t allow other people to use your eye drops,
- Replace the cap of the eye drops immediately after use
- Discard the eye drops four weeks after first opening. If you need to continue use, keep using the drops until you have arranged a new supply.
If you are using more than one kind of eye drop in the same eye, wait five minutes between drops.
If you are using both drops & ointment in the same eye, always use the drops first and wait five minutes before applying the ointment.
If you wear contact lenses, you should stop wearing them for the duration of your treatment unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
Side effects may arise from the drop being absorbed quickly into the bloodstream. You can slow the absorption by pressing your free hand’s forefinger against the lower lid where it meets your nose or close your eye for 60 seconds.
If you have any questions, always ask your doctor.